Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 11:44:21AM -0400, Barry deFreese wrote:
There has also been some similar discussions in Ubuntu with some
users reporting that some web sites and packages don't work with
openjdk but I have not seen a lot of concrete proof.

I might look a naive user here, but with openjdk I still don't have
plugin support in firefox 3.5, whereas it was working with
sun-java*. I'm on amd64 and using icedtea6-plugin, even the most simple
examples of http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.5.0/demos/applets.html
do not appear to work.

I know I should have filled the bug report first, but I frankly
discovered only now that the equivalent of old sun-java6-plugin
metapackage is icedtea and that's bring me to another subject: users
should be informed on how to migrate away from sun java6 (even because
it would be a de facto switch from non-free software to free software,
even if it is the same).  Do we currently have a smooth migration path
from the old set of packages to the new set in place for Lenny to
Squeeze migrations?

Before that is in place, I'd consider premature removing sun-java*.

Cheers.

Apropos of this topic, Eclipse in Squeeze for me crashes on startup with Java errors using OpenJDK. To be fair, it isn't especially stable with Sun. Eclipse in Sid runs, but with reduced function. I have not checked to see if bugs have been filed, but since the topic was raised here, I thought I'd mention it.

(Besides, my system is not too weird, and I expected since it was a startup crash, it surely would have been filed by now. At any rate, I would have filed it as an Eclipse bug, not a Java bug.)

Mark Allums