Re: /var/www is depracated, which directory to use?

]] Steve McIntyre

(Please respect my m-f-t, I read the list. :-)

| I'm still unconvinced by /srv personally - we've strived for years in
| Debian to make things work as much as possible straight from initial
| installation, yet now we're expected to deliberately leave services
| unconfigured. I don't think this is progress for most of our users...

I'm not opposed to making stuff work out of the box, but I think using
/srv as a default location is wrong, since its structure is explicitly
undefined.  I haven't looked at webapps-common, and I also believe this
problem is a bit larger than just webapps, though web applications are
much more common than say, services that lie on top of XMPP.  Hopefully
there are good thoughts there that can be generalised a bit further so
we can have a «app/vhost service» policy.

(I'd be quite happy for us to get rid of ENABLED=[01] in /etc/default/*
for instance.)

--
Tollef Fog Heen