Re: Copyright infringement on www.rossbeazley.co.uk — Overreacting?

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 07:34 -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Ben Hutchings dijo [Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 04:14:45AM -0700]:
> > The "blog" at <http://www.rossbeazley.co.uk>, which is hosted in your IP
> > space, is a copy of Planet Debian <http://planet.debian.org>, apparently
> > intended to gain keyword advertising revenue.
> > (…)
> > Since there are no contact details for the site, I have no way of
> > directly demanding the site owner to cease this copyright infringement.
> > Therefore, please either pass on this demand or suspend hosting of
> > www.rossbeazley.co.uk until it is no longer infringing.
>
> [ Ross Beazley's Cc: dropped ]
>
> I won't contact him. In my case, although all of the content I blog is
> redisitrbutable/reusable; my website says:
>
>     All the material found at this site is freely available, and you
>     can use it as you wish, except when the document mentions
>     explicitly different conditions.
>
> Now... I am surprised this is seen so harshly. This is not the first
> site I see that syndicates Planet Debian. What I can understand is
> that Beazley originally provided his own content (August and earlier
> posts);

The earliest entries (January 2008) are copied from
<http://javaonthefly.blogspot.com/>.  Later ones look like real entries
but most of them have little information other than a few keywords to
prime the ad selection.

> he has no ads running on his site I could see (they might be
> blocked on my browser FWIW)

It's using Google AdSense; you must have blocked that.

> and does not seem to be claiming
> authorship for any of our posts. Yes, he does commit the sin of not
> directing to the original entries for comments, but to me it looks
> more as a guy playing with his WordPress-based aggregator than anybody
> with ill intent.

No, it's someone trying to get keyword advertising revenue.

> So, even though the complains _are_ formally right, I would rather not
> come down with a harsh message at someone who is not really hurting
> any of us except for failing to provide a link back. Even the place's
> name is clearly personal!

It's strange that there's no information about the "author" on a
"personal" site.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Who are all these weirdos? - David Bowie, about L-Space IRC channel #afp