Re: Auto Backporting (Was: Backports of scientific packages)

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> wrote:
> > Shouldn't checking if Build-Depends are satisfiable in stable be enough?
> > And if it doesn't build that way, I'd say there's a bug in the package
> > anyways, because it should bump some build dependencies.
>
> build-deps are not necessarily runtime deps. Especially if
> stuff changed in the fs or for policy reasons and that is not reflected in
> the build-deps because the change is not in the build-deps.

The runtime dependencies should either be based on the versions of the
packages that were compiled against (in which case they should be correct
automaticall) or they will be based on some specific features (EG a new
version of a package containing /bin/foo adds a new command-line option
to /bin/foo) in which case an explicit versioned dependency should be
sufficient (failure to do so would be a bug in any case).  It should not be
THAT difficult to make a back-port build daemon refrain from building
packages if the runtime dependencies can never be satisfied.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog