Re: Auto Backporting (Was: Backports of scientific packages)

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 03:56:00PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> So in short: we should choose the "well-defined" subset of packages
> which are candidates for autobackporting according to their feature to
> be buildable inside stable and using an control field to mark the
> packages that way.

Shouldn't checking if Build-Depends are satisfiable in stable be enough?
And if it doesn't build that way, I'd say there's a bug in the package
anyways, because it should bump some build dependencies.

But I think it's more a matter of being meaningful to backport the
packages, than to be possible of doing so.

And if symbols files were more broadly used, I guess most packages
currently in squeeze could be installed on lenny without even being
rebuilt.

As a side note, some packages are "easily" backportable, in the sense
that they only require a few build-dependencies to be backported. This
is the case for xulrunner and iceweasel, where only sqlite needs to be
backported for the packages to be backportable.

Mike