Re: libjpeg62-dev -> libjpeg-dev transition

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 11:47:35AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 01:08:12AM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 12:04:32AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > > Dear developers,
> > >
> > > There is a new version of libjpeg in the archive (JPEG7), but is it
> > > not yet cleared for building packages against it.
> > >
> > > If your package Build-Depends on libjpeg62-dev, please change to 'libjpeg-dev'
> > > (without the 62) to ease the transition.
> >
> > Err no, please don't.
>
> The fact that some packages Build-Depends on libjpeg62-dev is merely an
> historical artefact.

I know, the fact that it's the case though, allow us to plan for a
smoother transition. That'd be silly to not leverage that fact.

> > First I'd like to see packages already build-depending on libjpeg-dev to
> > be rebuilt against a libjpeg7 that provides libjpeg-dev.
>
> Actually, I have already done a test-rebuild of all the packages that
> build-depends on libjpeg62-dev or libjpeg-dev against a modified libjpeg7-dev
> that provide both libjpeg62-dev and libjpeg-dev, and there is only six FTBFS
> five of them being just test-suite update, and I send a patch for the sixth
> (netpbm) in the BTS.

That' be great (if not already done) to open important bugs on those
packages please, so that we can track that down.

I just opened a meta-bug to track the libjpeg transition on
release.debian.org, please mark those bugs as blocking the meta-bug,
it'll help us track them

TIA.

> I can provide you the logs if you want.

I believe you, and only 6 ftbfs is relatively good news. The problem is,
packages have to migrate together. The more packages that makes, the
more probable it is the transition gets mixed up with another one. So I
ask again, please let's do the -dev switch _first_ then bug packages
wrongly depending upon libjpeg62-dev. The later can be done
incrementally without, the first bit cannot.

In the end we _do_ want all packages Build-Depending upon libjpeg-dev,
that's clear. Though the smoother path is making them switch after the
transition is done, not before.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit