Re: Of the use of native packages for programs not specific to Debian.

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 11:22:30AM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
We have a lot of troubles when upstreams ship a debian/ directory
in upstream tarball, thus I'll expect derivatives will have similar
problems
I don't see it that way.

The reason why we have 'a lot of troubles' when upstreams ship a debian/
directory, is because upstreams usually supply that directory as a
courtesy to make life 'easier' for those people who want to build a
Debian package out of their SCM repository, and that as a result, they
are usually not even remotely Policy-compliant. Thus, we need to do a
*lot* of work to get them integrated properly; and any files that keep
lying around in debian/ might interfere with other things.

And that quickly goes away when upstream accepts patches that fix
their debian directory.

I don't see that as a *lot* of work at all. It just means you need a
good relationship with upstream so changes to the debian dir are
merged upstream quickly. If you have write access to upstreams RCS
then I don't see this as a problem at all.

Yes, but I use cdbs for my packages, and I don't want to force
upstream to use the same tools.

But now I've found an other problem:

On native package the debian/changelog is also used for upstream
changelog: upstreams tend to package their packages as native.

But I'll pack it as normal package. With the 3.0 source format
the upstream changelog (if it is in debian) will be removed
(which could maybe is a problem with the GPL licenses: we
distribute in the sources the changelog, but we hide/delete
it, when unpacking).

Thus non debian specific package, which are also native,
should (must on GPL licensed packages) have a separate
"upstream" changelog.

ciao
	cate