Re: Talk: Reflections of a bigtime Debian bug reporter

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 16:41:50 -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:

> the answer to the real problem is education.  if a user didn't submit
> sufficient details in their report, politely ask them for more. show
> them a guide for strace, or bug writing guides, or debian
> documentation, or whatever may be useful. this may be more work, but as
> that user gains more skill, they will become less of a burden, and more
> importantly, more capable of solving problems and writing good reports
> on their own.

you really think that's how it works?  how about "if a user didn't
submit sufficient details, then either their bug gets ignored for years,
or maybe at some point we ask for more info and they're unresponsive,
meaning the bug never gets fixed".

Cheers,
Julien