Re: Discussion: New feature for source packages

"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:
> Am Dienstag 15 September 2009 schrieb Peter Samuelson:
>> [Hans-J. Ullrich]

>>> DKMS seems only be made for kernel modules. It is greart anyway, and
>>> a good help. But what with non-kernel- modules?

>> Can you give an example?

> No, sorry, I cannot. I looked at the documentation and felt it a little
> bit too complicated for normal users. It is not the thing, I imagined.

> Although, it might work for other people.

The point of DKMS as I understand it is that it's not really for the
end-user, although they can of course use it.  Providers of modules can
ship DKMS-aware packages, and then the right thing happens on both kernel
updates and on module source updates.

I've been shipping an openafs-modules-dkms package since DKMS entered the
archive and love it.  It's far more convenient than module-assistant, and
I hope all of the other out-of-source kernel module maintainers adopt it
as well.

I provide both that and a traditional openafs-modules-source for those who
want to use module-assistant or kernel-package.