Re: Explicitely Cc bug reporters

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 03:16:59PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 17:23 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > Conceptually, what "we" want is trivial: we want submitter to be
> > subscribed (in the sense of "bts subscribe") by default. If they want,
> > they are free to opt unsubscribing.
> If the submitter can unsubscribe, then we haven't won anything, since
> we'll still need to remember to cc them manually to request feedback
> (and we won't have any way to know whether nnnn@b.d.o reaches them...)

I disagree.

I do not always want to reach submitter by default. Usually, when I want
that, it is because I'm replying to the initial bug report to ask for
more detailed info or to test a patch. In that case, I have the mail
around (or I retrieve it with "bts --mbox show") and reply to all, also
hitting the submitter by his real email address.

The reason why I think we want subscription by default, is to be sure
that forthcoming messages, usually sent by "external" people (i.e. third
party triagers, other maintainers, users with patches, AOL-style
messages, etc.) get sent to who declared himself as interested in the
bug report. What I do want, and actually I think it is a shared feeling,
is that that set of "interested" people includes the submitter by
default. If, later on, he wants to opt out, I couldn't care less.

Cheers.