Re: Explicitely Cc bug reporters

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:

> The complete plan involves having nnn-submitter@ changing from being
> an alias of the submitter's e-mail address to behaving like nnn@, with
> the addition of making sure that the submitter gets a copy. See my
> mails on this subject.

Thanks for pointing this out again. This seems like the best approach:

* it allows for the common case expressed by package maintainers in this
  discussion:

  “I want to communicate with the bug submitter and keep a record in the
  bug report, using a single ‘To’ address and not needing to know
  anything about specific options the submitter might have chosen.”

* it allows low-interest bug report traffic to go *only* to the bug
  report (at <nnn@bugs.debian.org>, just like now). The submitter, like
  anyone else, can opt in or out of this traffic.

* it requires no specific action from the submitter beyond the act of
  submitting a bug report at all.

* it requires that we (package maintainers) get into the habit of using
  <nnn-submitter@bugs.debian.org> for the common case of discussion with
  the submitter, which has been independently suggested by many in this
  discussion as an acceptable compromise that isn't particularly
  onerous.

--
 \      “When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand |
  `\           box. I was an only child... eventually.” —Steven Wright |