Re: Faster boot by running init.d scripts in parallel

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 01:05:32PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> If you want to test this feature in testing or unstable, use this
> command:
>
>   echo CONCURRENCY=makefile >> /etc/default/rcS
>
> It will enable makefile style concurrency, and run N scripts in
> parallel during boot, where N is the number of CPUs or cores on the
> machine.

That seems suboptimal.

It occurs to me that initscripts are mostly I/O bound (since they need
to start applications that then go waiting in the background), rather
than CPU bound; as such, the number of initscripts that can be ran in
parallel is more dependent on I/O speed than on CPU speed.

It's probably best to make this N be a configurable variable (possibly
defaulting to something based on something we detect from the system
we're running on) rather than have it be something detected and not
configurable.

If it actually is configurable, but you just didn't tell us so, then
please feel free to disregard this mail ;-)

trying to fool the system.