Re: Faster boot by running init.d scripts in parallel

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 01:05:32PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>> If you want to test this feature in testing or unstable, use this
>> command:
>>
>>   echo CONCURRENCY=makefile >> /etc/default/rcS
>>
>> It will enable makefile style concurrency, and run N scripts in
>> parallel during boot, where N is the number of CPUs or cores on the
>> machine.
>
> That seems suboptimal.

I think Petter is not right here.
startpar in makefile mode is run with the -p 4 flag in /etc/init.d/rc.

 eval "$(startpar -p 4 -t 20 -T 3 -M $1 -P $previous -R $runlevel)"

The man page says:

> startpar is used to run multiple run-level scripts in parallel. The degree of
> parallelism on one CPU can be set with the -p option, the default is full
> parallelism. An argument to all of the scripts can be provided with the
> -a option.

If I read the man page correctly, this means we start up to 4 concurrent
(independent) run level scripts per CPU.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?