Re: Explicitely Cc bug reporters

Russ Allbery wrote:
>> That should probably be something that would fly for me actually. and
>> you could make reportbug take an option to add some kind of pseudo
>> header so that subscribing is not done for the rare cases when sender
>> doesn't want to be subscribed.
>
> I would ideally like to see this implemented by having reportbug ask
> whether they want to be subscribed, perhaps with a default of yes,
> rather than just subscribing them and making them opt-out.

I don't think it should be too easy to opt-out. We should not get in a
situation where we no longer CC a submitter because we assume he/she is
subscribed, while the submitter will never get the mails because he did
not realize that would be the consequence of opting out when he submitted
the bug.

That will only lead to frustration on the part of both users (who'll think
their issue is being ignored by an arrogant developer who does not care
about users) and maintainers (who'll think it's yet another fscking user
can't be arsed to follow up).

IMO opting out should mainly be for the case where the submitter is also
receiving follow-ups because he's a member of the packaging team and thus
already subscribed to the maintainer mailing list or PTS for the package.
I.e. to avoid getting duplicate mails from the BTS.

See also my follow-up to #545996 (submitted a bit earlier by Holger).

Cheers,
FJP