Re: State of developers-reference

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 04:01:31PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I think it's a good idea, at least it's worth trying. That should however
> > not mean that only delegated policy editors can maintain the package...
> > maintainership should still be relatively open like it has always been.
> > It might mean however that we might want to formalize the process
> > somewhat.
> Correct, I don't mean to imply that the policy editors should be responsible
> for the devref.  I think they already have their hands full and we shouldn't
> demand that they take on more.

Fair enough. I confess that after your proposal I got a little scared
by the risk of identifying, more than the editors, the processes
behind policy with the processes behind devref. I believe the latter
should be allowed to be more "dynamic" while our policy process is
more "static".

> One thing I didn't say before is that, /in theory/, I'm willing to
> help with maintenance of the devref package if the problem of
> public-by-default change process is addressed.  I didn't mention
> this because I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking I'm
> committing to being active on the package - rather, every time I've
> thought of volunteering to help with the devref (which I agree is an
> important document), the lack of public process has been a blocker
> for me.

Addressing this can actually have an interesting side-effect, which I
believe to be a problem in the current way of maintaining devref:
namely, the fact that maintainers are not notified when relevant
changes get into devref. Still, it is not clear to me which kind of
"open process" do you mean. Assuming the -policy venue is OK for
everybody, would it be enough for you to have commits notified on that
list?

If, on the contrary, you want an acceptance process which involves a
lot of people, then I believe we are not in the condition to attack
that, given the little manpower on both devref and policy.

Cheers.