Re: State of developers-reference

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 10:45:55PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Sep 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I think the devref discussions (incl. bug traffic) need to be moved onto
> > debian-policy.  We already have any number of bugs getting redirected from
> > policy to the devref, so it's not as though there would be a massive traffic
> > increase; and it would put the right set of eyeballs on the changes to
> > ensure the result actually reflects best practices.

> I think it's a good idea, at least it's worth trying. That should however
> not mean that only delegated policy editors can maintain the package...
> maintainership should still be relatively open like it has always been.
> It might mean however that we might want to formalize the process
> somewhat.

Correct, I don't mean to imply that the policy editors should be responsible
for the devref.  I think they already have their hands full and we shouldn't
demand that they take on more.

One thing I didn't say before is that, /in theory/, I'm willing to help with
maintenance of the devref package if the problem of public-by-default change
process is addressed.  I didn't mention this because I don't want to mislead
anyone into thinking I'm committing to being active on the package - rather,
every time I've thought of volunteering to help with the devref (which I
agree is an important document), the lack of public process has been a
blocker for me.  While the people who've maintained the devref over the
years are developers whose technical judgement I have a good deal of
confidence in individually, when it comes to deciding "best practices", it's
just too small and self-selecting a set and I'm not willing to be seen as
endorsing this model by putting my own name on it.

As far as process formalization, the existing
http://wiki.debian.org/PolicyChangesProcess seems an obvious choice to me.