Re: RFC: update-inetd migration to dpkp-triggers

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 11:19:02PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 09:54:19PM +0200, Serafeim Zanikolas wrote:
> > > * document that local policy will live in /etc/inetd.conf.d/ and any manual
> > >   changes will be made effective by running update-inetd

> > I think this violates the principle of least surprise (restarting the daemon
> > after making your changes has been enough to make those changes take effect
> > since the inception of these daemons), and will be displeasing to many
> > admins as a result.

> Is there any reason inetd's init script couldn't run update-inetd before
> restarting the daemon, thus not changing the way things work for admins?

That might be reasonable.  I'm not sure how many admins think 'killall -HUP
inetd' is the right way to force a config reread. :-)  (On the rare
occasions that I edit /etc/inetd.conf, this is the method I tend to use,
because it's always worked and I don't have to remember what the init script
is called this decade...)