Re: udev and /usr

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> IMO, whomever came up with the idea of leaking pci.ids and usb.ids data to
> /dev, made a bad mistake.  Just because you'd show something in an UI,
> doesn't mean it can be used to permanently identify a device safely.  I have
> no idea what HAL, and HAL-consumers did with that information (maybe it was
> for display purposes only, for example?), but I do know that stuff that ends
> up in /dev/by-id IS very likely to be used as a permanent way to identify
> devices in places like /etc/fstab, etc.

From what I can see in /lib/udev/rules.d, the ids files are only used to setup
the (udev) environment variable ID_VENDOR_FROM_DATABASE
(75-net-description.rules, 75-tty-description.rules, 78-sound-card.rules).

There are no symlinks created in /dev based on that information.

Given the name of the rules file, it indeed looks to be intended to be used for
display/descriptive purposes.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?