Re: udev and /usr

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> So why exactly should we support this breakage in udev, again?  If what it
> takes is to move the usb and pci ID databases to /, so be it.  When compared
> to our kernel tarballs, they're small, less than 1MB for both of them.

Agreed. Moving usb.ids and pci.ids to / (/lib/hwdata was a proposed location)
seems currently the best solution to me.

> As for the update-usbids and update-pciids problems, we can certainly
> repackage this stuff in volatile and drop the two utilities as well the /var
> issue it generates.  Symlinks will provide all backwards-compatibility that
> is needed.  I believe we should do this regardless, but we better decide if
> these databases have to live under / or /usr first.

I'd also vote for removing update-usbids and update-pciids.
Those tools looks broken to me anyway. given that a package upgrade will
overwrite an updated ids file again.

Aurel's concern was, if usbutils (and pciutils for that matter) were acceptable
for volatile and Luk (on debian-release) acknowledged that this package would be
ok for volatile and stable point releases.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?