Re: The future of the boot system in Debian

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 12:04:33PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Sep 06, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > > When should maintainers start adding upstart jobs to their packages?
> > Not before the upstart compat package that provides upstart-job for
> > sysvinit-based systems is available.
> Is this relevant for Linux-specific packages as well? I.e., do we want
> to continue supporting sysvinit on Linux systems?

for one: LSB somehow requires it.
second:  I think it's disruptive for users to be unable to do
         /etc/init.d/$service stop/start/restart anymore.

So I'd say that even for Linux we want some kind of sysvinit like
scripts anyways.

--
Intersec <http://www.intersec.com>
Pierre Habouzit <pierre.habouzit@intersec.com>