Re: The future of the boot system in Debian

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 04:43:57AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Great news. I really look forward to converting my init scripts to
> native upstart jobs, but I believe that some clarifications are needed
> about the long-term impact of switching to upstart.

> Can you clarify what normal packages will have to do to support the
> non-Linux ports which are unable to run upstart?

 - Install a symlink in /etc/init.d instead of an init script, pointed at
   /lib/init/upstart-job and named to match the upstart job file (with the
   .conf extension removed)
 - Add a dependency on the virtual package upstart-job.

An upcoming version of debhelper should implement this as part of
dh_installinit - just provide debian/<pkg>[.<name>].upstart instead of
debian/<pkg[.<name>].init.  Cf. bug #536035.

The upstart-job utility, provided by the upstart source package, will then
simulate sensible init script behavior on systems using sysvinit, including
a query interface for LSB init script options to support dependency-based
booting.

> When should maintainers start adding upstart jobs to their packages?

Not before the upstart compat package that provides upstart-job for
sysvinit-based systems is available.

Cheers,