Re: Bits from the release team: Release goals, schedule, state of the union

Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> 2009/8/25 Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@debian.org>:
>> Release Goals
>> =============
>> We have now reviewed the list of release goals [RT-Goals] and have
>> ACKed most of the proposed things. A short overview:
>>
>>  - multiarch
>>    We hope to allow our users to install binaries for several
>>    architectures on a single machine in Squeeze.
>
> Just as a minor correction, the goal is to install shared libraries
> and include files for several architectures, instead binaries, that
> might be done at squeeze+1, but the picture has not been drawn yet.
>
> Have a nice day !

Both statements are ambigious.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the plan is to allow installing of
multiple architectures of the same shared library in parallel and
installing binaries from different architectures but never the same
binary from multiple architectures in parallel.

So far there is no plan at all at allowing multiple architectures for
the same binary to be installed in parallel other than individual
packages using alternatives or a common wrapper script where it is
really needed.

At least that is my understanding of the proposaland surrounding
discussions.

MfG
        Goswin