Re: Release goal: Getting rid of unneeded *.la / emptying dependency_libs

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But:
>> % objdump -p /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1600.5 | grep glib
>>   NEEDED               libglib-2.0.so.0
>
>> If gkt+ encourages using glib types, there is no problem while gtk itself
>> uses glib types, as far as I can see. Or is there something I'm missing?
>
> The application that uses glib types has to link directly against glib, or
> if the SONAME of glib changes and gtk's doesn't, the application will fail
> in some nasty ways.  (It may be that the library management practices of
> those two projects ensures this doesn't happen, but it really should be
> enforced technically.)

But this will cause trouble anyway. Imagine this case: glib changes SONAME,
both app and library depend on glib. app is recompiled, gtk isn't yet.So
then app NEEDED libglib-2.0.so.1, gtk NEEDED libglib-2.0.so.0. Kaboom! The
only real solution is to make gtk's SONAME dependent on glib's, eg libgtk-
x11-2.0.so.0-glib-1 (a la boost upstream with gcc versions).

--
Felipe Sateler