Re: Release goal: Getting rid of unneeded *.la / emptying dependency_libs

Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:16:46PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>> Summarizing the upstream thread, it seems the solution they prefer is
>> to just ignore dependency_libs when linking dynamically.
>
> That should be reasonable.
>
>> Is there any situation where that wouldn't work in Debian? pkg-config has
>> both Libs/Requires and Libs.private/Requires.private so there must be
>> some kind of use-case where stuff linking to shared-lib libfoo also has
>> to link with libbar?
>
> Mostly to accomodate gtk+ upstream, who insist that it's reasonable for
> software to #include <gtk.h> and then use glib types in their code.  I
> don't think this has an analogue in the libtool world.

But:
% objdump -p /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1600.5 | grep glib
  NEEDED               libglib-2.0.so.0

If gkt+ encourages using glib types, there is no problem while gtk itself
uses glib types, as far as I can see. Or is there something I'm missing?

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler