Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

On Tue, Aug 25 2009, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:07:43AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>         Hmm? Why haven't these patches been sent upstream, then?  I have
>>  been also working at devotee-ng, which will have a plug-in
>>  architecture, to allow votes to add in dfferent pre-processing stacks
>>  (mime/gpg-decrypt, vs plain ballot vs DB lookup), to bypass checks
>>  (gpg, ldap), or add new ones, and to change the vote tallying
>>  algorithm, and add in new response/publish modules.
>
> Patches are here
> http://git.upsilon.cc/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=devotee.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/zack/polls
>
> They haven't been forwarded upstream *yet* because they haven't yet
> been polished up for integration. I'm sure you, rightful, wouldn't
> have liked patches which look more than ad-hoc customization than
> generally reusable code.

        Thanks for the git repo pointer. I appreciate the opportunity to
 look at the kinds of changes you have needed, and  will see if I can
 incorporate them into the next version of devotee I am (stalled on)
 writing.

> FWIW, I also had trouble in finding the actual code which is running
> for regular votes injected in a VCS. AFAICT, the working copy on
> master differs from the one in git.d.o which I've cloned from. This
> seems to make a bit harder to contribute code back.

        Hmm? The last vote I ran, I thought I was in sync between my git
 version and the code that ran. Perhaps there have been changes made on
 vote.d.o; I'll see if I can merge those back when I  have time to work
 on devotee.

        manoj
--
Beware of the Turing Tar-pit in which everything is possible but nothing
of interest is easy.