Re: What’s the use for Standards-Version?

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:04:31AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12 2009, Roger Leigh wrote:

> >>         I do not have a strong opinion about this, apart from the fact
> >>  that it must be present in the sources when someone is looking to
> >>  update the package, and it should be accessible before downloading all
> >>  the sources. So having it in the diff.gz and PTS would be good enough.
> >
> > The only /real/ use for the standards version is using it as a starting
> > point for upgrading to the current standards version, and that's already
> > making the (rather naïve) assumption that it was already fully conforming
> > with Policy to begin with.
>
>         I donot think it is a naive assumption at all. The commohn case
>  with most package uploads is that the previous maintainer is the
>  current maintainer. Usually, I try to make sure that my package is
>  policy compliant (don't we all? we signed up for it). Then I see what
>  has changed in policy since then, and try to ensure that the package
>  still complies with policy.
>  find them for me and file bugs.
>
>         Minimizing the reading I need to do (by checking what has
>  changed in policy since I last checked policy) is a nice, useful
>  optimization.

I agree on this count.  My view isn't that Standards-Version is
necessarily pointless, just that the current approach of having to
manually review every policy change isn't necessarily the most
efficient use of a maintainer's time.

Given that some Policy changes have the possibility of automated
checking by lintian, it would be great if lintian could highlight
the non-checkable upgrade checks when it reports that the
Standards-Version is out of date, i.e. looking up all changes since
the current package Standards-Version for me, checking automatically
what can be checked, and letting me know what the others are so I
can check by hand.

Regards,
Roger

--