Re: What’s the use for Standards-Version?

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         If you think one should address content, and specific actions,
>  not personalities, your message does tend to inject personalities into
>  the discussion. Please cease doing so.

Well, why are mentioning the topic of removing DD status to incompetent
developer if it's not related to the current thread?

Don't you believe that blindly updating the Standards-Version is a
proof of incompetence (or some strong sign of it)?

At least I understood it that way and I guess Joss felt the same.

> > Joss has taken the right decision and would have done so even without your
> > useless remark.
>
>         Lying to lintian and the rest of the world is the right
>  behaviour? Since when?

No, of course no, the right decision to which I was referring is the one
I explained in my next paragraph:
> > It's a bookmark to be used together with the upgrading checklist, and
> > if you don't use it to check whether something has to be updated in
> > the package, you should not update it.

And it's what Joss said in his answer to the same mail that I was
answering (and which was already available when I responded).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog