Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On Fri, Jul 31 2009, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>         We do not want to have different helper package start inventing
>>  a helper specific way of building  ddebs, with no clear standard tha
>>  they are following.
>
>>         While archive coverage is nice, ensuring  that a ddeb is
>>  properly defined, and that all the different ways of creating ddebs are
>>  consistent, should happen first.
>
> OK, so you mean I should document the ddeb format (which is that of
> .deb packages) and possibly include it in policy? That makes sense, if
> you want that I'll propose a patch for policy (note that udebs are not
> documented though).

        But regular packages are not creating udebs; and the whole idea
 behind "automated" ddeb creation is that the ./debian/rules file
 optionally creates ddebs. Since this affects the majority of packages,
 I think we need to be clear up front about ddeb creation.

        manoj
--
A 'full' life in my experience is usually full only of other people's
demands.