Re: new package format

Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@Ethgen.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Fr den 31. Jul 2009 um 13:32 schrieb Eugene Gorodinsky:
>> Since programs usually store their settings in the user's home
>> directory, that aren't deleted when the program is uninstalled the
>> user's home directory becomes a mess. I'm not sure if it's possible to
>> change some functionality within dpkg without changing the format
>> itself.
>
> I don't want to go into the other arguments (yet). But this argument is
> very interesting.
>
> On one hand it ends in privacy problems if a user wants to keep his
> configuration stuff of one application (especially when he has a shared
> $HOME).
>
> On the other hand there could be a tool to cleanup such stuff. But this
> might be not connected with the real packages then better a own
> application with a data base of know applications.
>
> Regards
>    Klaus

End becomes a real mess when home is shared between systems or users
have their own version of things in ~/bin/.

The right thing to do is to make software not create ~/.whatever
unless there is actualy something changed in there. There really is no
need to duplicate the system wide defaults or programs default unless
the user changes them.

So two things: Leave conffiles on removals and don't create them in
the first place.

MfG
        Goswin