Re: new package format

Eugene Gorodinsky wrote:
Hi all
I've read the debian news announcement today
(http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090730). What got me very
interested was the part about a new package format

There are two changes: one about the source package format
(a true format change) and about binary package format
(this is only a "formal" change about supported compressions
algorithms, not real changes on functionality).

Anyway these two format are already defined by long time
(we need to have support of new format some releases
before actual use, in order to provide smooth upgrades)

So IMHO this is not the right period to discuss about a
new format: we still have to use a "old new format".

(in my oppinion
this area can be vastly improved, and I'm interested in contributing).

What are the problems of actual format?

Searching the list archives I was unable to find any discussion
relating to that, except for the multi-arch spec and a discussion that
took place way back in 1999. Is there anything I might have missed?

Check the changelogs of dpkg to find when people discussed it.

Anyway there were not real change since a lot of time. In last
10 years IIRC there was some support to "tar" extensions and
compressing algorithm.

ciao
	cate