Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash without dash essential

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:31:04AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         I think you are not going far enough. Why should I have dash on
>  the system when my default shell is posh? or (gasp) zsh?

Why would you set your default shell to posh?  It's only marginally smaller
than dash, and my understanding is that it's slower.  It's more minimal from
a policy perspective, but I don't see that this is relevant for a live
Debian system.

What's the advantage of having it be zsh?  Is zsh faster than dash?  Or is
the only savings the elimination of the 84k dash binary from /bin?

>         I think one of the objections here is that we ought to have a
>  more generic approach that allows shells other than dash/bash to be the
>  default shell, and that the vendor not make the choice.

And I think it has yet to be demonstrated that it's actually useful to
support all these other possible values of /bin/sh.  Without a concrete
reason why these configurations should be supported, generalizing the
implementation is needless overhead.