Re: ia32-libs transition

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <didier@raboud.com> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just spent over an hour writing and rewriting this mail, and
>>> determined that I can't think of a single constructive thing to say.
>>>
>>> So I'll just ask a couple of questions instead:
>>>
>>> Is there any way of preventing this kind of major breakage in the future?
>>> I don't think many people expect that upgrading one package will FUBAR
>>> the packaging system.
>>>
>>> Is there any chance of Wine becoming functional on amd64 in the
>>> forseeable future?
>>
>> # apt-get install ia32-wine
>> (...)
>> 0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 187 not upgraded.
>> Need to get 11.0MB of archives.
>> After this operation, 51.4MB of additional disk space will be used.
>> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
>>
>> % winemine
>>
>> Have fun. Works both with sid and experimental wine. Provided you have
>> a lib32ncurses5 and lib32readline5 with the lib32 transition completed
>> that is. Bug the respective maintainers for that one.
>
> Hi Goswin,
>
> Sorry, but that's plain false. The package ia32-wine is non-existant.
>
> # apt-get install ia32-wine
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package ia32-wine

Ia32-wine is only available when ia32-apt-get is installed. I assumed
you already had that. What exactly will happen with wine or how
exactly it will do the trick to be installable out of the box isn't
fixed yet. It is possible the same 2 stage install as ia32-libs will
be used or something better.

> But the package "wine" is and here is what I get :
>
> # apt-get install wine
> (...) works
>
> $ winemine
> (does not work)

That will install the wine_..._amd64.deb that is in unstable but
missing in experimental for the latest version. Depending on the
solution it might disapear in unstable or be repalced by a Meta
package of one form or another.

>From talking to the wine maintainer I know that in the not to distant
future wine will support the win64 API so you can run 64bit windows
programs. So the actualy outcome might be that you have 3 packages:
wine, ia32-wine and wine64. Where wine would pull in ia32-wine and
wine64 and an contain a wrapper so "wine foo.exe" calls the right one.

You will have to see how wine will turn out.

MfG
        Goswin