Multiarch (Was: Re: ia32-libs depends on ia32-apt-get)

On Mon Jun 29 21:50, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > There is work going on recently. Steve Langasek drafted a plan that he
> > wants to bring forward in Ubuntu Karmic Koala and it has been reviewed by
> > Guillem Jover, the dpkg maintainer. Guillem also has plans to make it a
> > reality inside Debian but I don't know of any timeframe.
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> Too bad they did that without involving the people already working on
> multiarch via the alioth project.
>
> They messed up some finer details, broke the existing patches, made
> the whole thing need a full release cycle for a transition due to
> DEBIAN/control format changes and have a broen plan for -dev packages.

Ok, For those of us who haven't been following all of the bug reports
and threads covering this, perhaps we could have a summary here of what
you think needs doing to get multiarch working, what needs changing and
what objections people have to changing it.

I would love to see this in (or the required changes so that it can be
in squeeze+1) in squeeze and now is the time to do it.

I've also CC'd Hector and Steve who are listed as owners on that
document because whatever we do to get multiarch working (and I have no
strong views on the right way to do it) we should definitely not do it
differently to Ubuntu.