Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

On Tue, June 16, 2009 11:23, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> "Thijs Kinkhorst" <thijs@debian.org> writes:
>

>> Hi Raphaël,
>>

>> On Mon, June 15, 2009 18:12, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>>
>>> please find below a first draft of DEP-3 that I called Patch Tagging
>>> Guidelines. The idea is to standardize a set of meta-information to
>>> embed in patches that we apply. Please review, share your comments and
>>> ideas of enhancements.
>>
>> For me a key question that the proposal doesn't answer is what value
>> this formalisation would add. Yes, indeed patches should be commented,
>> but what is the problem with the current situation where we just put
>> freeform text above the patch? That works fine for me. Every
>> formalisation has a cost and I'm not sure here that it's offset by the
>> (which?) benefits.
>>

> Possible benefits (partly mentioned in the spec)
>

> - tools can be adapted/crafted to maintain these fields
> - streamline development practice to faciliate team communication
> - (web)tools can analyse and produce statistics..

This is still quite abstract: "streamline development practice to
faciliate team communication", what does this mean? I haven't yet needed
any tool to type the freeform text above our patches. Indeed, statistics
can be made, but the real benefit in statistics is the conclusions that
are drawn from them. Until now the advantages remain in vague terms. Can
we make it more specific what the "streamlining" is or what use there
would be of statistics on this metadata?

Thijs