Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

"Thijs Kinkhorst" <thijs@debian.org> writes:

> Hi Raphaël,
>
> On Mon, June 15, 2009 18:12, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> please find below a first draft of DEP-3 that I called Patch Tagging
>> Guidelines. The idea is to standardize a set of meta-information to embed
>>  in patches that we apply. Please review, share your comments and ideas
>> of enhancements.
>
> For me a key question that the proposal doesn't answer is what value this
> formalisation would add. Yes, indeed patches should be commented, but what
> is the problem with the current situation where we just put freeform text
> above the patch? That works fine for me. Every formalisation has a cost
> and I'm not sure here that it's offset by the (which?) benefits.

Possible benefits (partly mentioned in the spec)

 - tools can be adapted/crafted to maintain these fields
 - streamline development practice to faciliate team communication
 - (web)tools can analyse and produce statistics

I'm looking forward to see prototype implementations of tools that use
patch files formatted this way.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4