Re: DEP 5 and directory/file names with spaces

Jonathan Yu dijo [Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 07:35:56PM -0400]:
> Since nobody seems to have noticed, I'd like to re-propose my idea for
> consideration:
>
> Files: a b
>  c d
>
> (ie, using continuation lines to specify lists of files, rather than
> commas or anything else. No escaping necessary.)

Yup - But the newline is also a valid (altough, yes, very uncommon)
part of a filename.

Now, this proposal keeps the field RFC822-ish — We could extrapolate
this a bit, and accept basically any non-whitespace strings delimited
by whitespace. Newlines are just one form of whitespace. And, of
course, you can escape any whitespace character to prevent it from
being treated as whitespace.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23