Re: DEP 5 proposal omits original Debianization information

On 04:17 Mon 08 Jun     , Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 12:51:39PM +0200, Xavier Oswald wrote:
> > So I see no needs in having the debian maintainer(s) name who were involved in
> > the creation in debian/copyright too. It's an information duplication.
>
> The one reason to include this information in debian/copyright is that the
> packagers may be copyright holders for contents under Debian.  However, this
> a) is not limited to the original packagers, b) may not be true in many
> cases today, where the debian/ directory for many packages is trivial
> boilerplate.

Im not speaking about debian copyright holder in debian/changelog.
We sure need to keep copyright holder of debian modifications.

I was thinking about this:
"This package was debianized by ... <...@...> on $Date$."

Since the name of the of the original packagers is listed too as described in
the new format specification [1]. It's only a proposal but I think it has been
well studied and is now applicable.

We know the original packager and date by watching in the debian/changelog first
entry.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat?action=recall&rev=196

Greetings,
--