Re: DEP 5 proposal omits original Debianization information

Deng Xiyue <manphiz-guest@users.alioth.debian.org> writes:

> According to Debian Policy Manual section 12.5:
>
>     In addition, the copyright file must say where the upstream
>     sources (if any) were obtained. *It should name the original
>     authors of the package and the Debian maintainer(s) who were
>     involved with its creation.*

Recording in the ‘debian/copyright’ the URL where the original source
was obtained makes sense.

I don't see why ‘debian/copyright’ needs to “name the Debian
maintainer(s) who were involved with its creation”; surely the best
location for that is the already-mandatory package maintainer data on
entries in ‘debian/changelog’.

> The current DEP 5 proposal doesn't provide a standard field dedicated
> for the information of original Debianizer

(Side point: Can we please drop this awful neologism, and just refer to
the process of packaging a work as “packaging”?)

> According to section 1.1, [exact copy of Debian Policy §12.5 paragraph
> 2]

Section 1.1 of what?

> So this is not strictly required, but it is considered a bug, which
> AIUI needs fixing. Hence I wonder how this was and will be handled.

I think it's a bug in policy; it should not require a redundant record
of historical information (the maintainers of the original versions of
the Debian package) already mandated in the ‘debian/changelog’ file.

--
 \     “We are no more free to believe whatever we want about God than |
  `\         we are free to adopt unjustified beliefs about science or |