Re: i386.changes vs source.changes

[Sorry about the terse reply.]

On 2009-05-14, Malte Forkel <malte.forkel@berlin.de> wrote:
> Well, just judging from a limited sample, all source.changes and
> i386.changes files I checked contain both Source and Binary fields.

He spoke about the Files part.

> There is some correlation to the Architecture field, though. All
> source.changes files have an Architecture value of "source".
> i386.changes files have Architecture values of "source i386", "source
> all", or "source i386 all". From the policy manual:
>
>    In a .changes file, the Architecture field lists the architecture(s)
>  of the package(s) currently being uploaded. This will be a list;
>    if the source for the package is also being uploaded, the special
>    entry source is also present.
>
> But uploading those packages with source.changes files produces i386.deb
> in the repository, too.
> BTW, does the combination of "all" (an architecture-independent package)

No, unless it's autobuilt.

> and "i386" imply, that this is a multiple binary package - some "all",
> some "i386"?

No, that would be any.

_source.changes is generated by passing -S to dpkg-buildpackage.  It contains
only the source in the upload, no debs.  _i386.changes usually contains the
i386 debs, but can also contain all debs if specified in the Architecture
field of the changes.

NB: The changes file name does not need to match the content.  But your
data gathering looks like they do.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern