Re: i386.changes vs source.changes

Luk Claes schrieb:
> Malte Forkel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently noticed that when I'm packaging software sometimes a
>> i386.changes file gets created, and sometimes a source.changes file gets
>> created.
>>
>> I couldn't find an explanation in the New Maintainer's Guide or in the
>> Policy Manual. I guess its something to do with the setup or type of the
>> package, but can't figure out what. Also, I'm curious about the
>> ramifications for the local repository I store these packages in.
>>
>> Could someone please explain?
>
> I guess that the source.changes file does not mention the binary
> package(s) while the i386.changes file does?
>
> changes files are used for uploading: only what's mentioned in there
> will be uploaded...
>
> Cheers
>
> Luk

Well, just judging from a limited sample, all source.changes and
i386.changes files I checked contain both Source and Binary fields.

There is some correlation to the Architecture field, though. All
source.changes files have an Architecture value of "source".
i386.changes files have Architecture values of "source i386", "source
all", or "source i386 all". From the policy manual:

   In a .changes file, the Architecture field lists the architecture(s)
 of the package(s) currently being uploaded. This will be a list;
   if the source for the package is also being uploaded, the special
   entry source is also present.

But uploading those packages with source.changes files produces i386.deb
in the repository, too.

BTW, does the combination of "all" (an architecture-independent package)
and "i386" imply, that this is a multiple binary package - some "all",
some "i386"?

Malte