Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:12:20AM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
>> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 11:41:30PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>>         The only builds Debian supports are not just the buildd ones. As
>>>  members of the free software community, we should also cater to end
>>>  users building, tweaking, and rebuilding our software.

>> The only builds Debian supports are the ones that are distributed from the
>> archive.  Debian doesn't "support" any other builds.  Some other builds will
>> work and be compatible with Debian.  Others won't, and if they don't, it's
>> left to the discretion of the individual maintainer whether to help.

> We support more than just building for the archive:
> E.g. we want to support user to rebuild packages with no optimization and debug
> symbols, to help us to find out bugs.
> See also http://debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules-options

a) this is a Policy recommendation, not a requirement
b) if anyone rebuilt a package in such a way for their own purposes, then
   filed a bug report that the package wasn't working and it came to light
   in the process of triaging the bug that the user had done this, the bug
   would almost certainly be given the lowest priority by the package
   maintainer and the user would probably be told to use the official
   binaries.