Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Sunday 10 May 2009 13:56:04 Steve Langasek wrote:
> I thought it was generally recognized that it's a Bad Idea to implement
> config files using your interpreter's 'include' functionality, but that's
> basically what we have here.

Guillem pointed out one problem: Either you do it via a make include (which
you have issues with), or you stop supporting calling debian/rules directly
(inconvenient, probably prone to break things), or you require every package
to handle it itself (unreliable, stupid) -- or you have the current situation,
which is somewhere in the middle.  For example, you possibly get something
different depending on whether you call debian/rules, dpkg-buildpackage,
debuild, or pbuilder.  And the difference is hard to explain or analyze.