Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

Steve Langasek wrote:
On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 11:41:30PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
        The only builds Debian supports are not just the buildd ones. As
 members of the free software community, we should also cater to end
 users building, tweaking, and rebuilding our software.

The only builds Debian supports are the ones that are distributed from the
archive.  Debian doesn't "support" any other builds.  Some other builds will
work and be compatible with Debian.  Others won't, and if they don't, it's
left to the discretion of the individual maintainer whether to help.

We support more than just building for the archive:
E.g. we want to support user to rebuild packages with no optimization and debug
symbols, to help us to find out bugs.
See also http://debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules-options

ciao
	cate