Re: Possible mass bug filing: non-doc packages recommending doc packages

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 06:14:34PM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
>> If the documentation is something designed to be viewed in a web browser
>> and the user has broadband, it is arguably easier to find it on the web.
>>  Even knowing precisely where it is[/usr/share/doc/aptitude is it -doc
>> or just aptitude, oops I already found it online google aptitude doc
>> first result], it is still arguably faster to find it online and once
>> you bookmark it is virtually identical.
>
> You are assuming all our user-base has high-speed broadband Internet access
> which is certainly not the case. High speed Internet access is still a luxury
> in some countries of the world.
>
> Regards
>
> Javier

Not at all, I wouldn't have mentioned it as a condition if I didn't
realize that some people don't have access to it.  Popcon suggests only
8% of users are on dial-up[based on package ppp and 'votes'] though
admittedly people on dial-up might be less likely to install popcon so
say 20% generously.  20% of users needing something wouldn't seem to
justify a 'recommends'.  I'm not suggesting getting rid of the packages.

Travis