Re: Possible mass bug filing: non-doc packages recommending doc packages

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 06:55:43PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> was heard to say:
> I don't think that the mere fact that we changed the default behavior
> of apt-get/aptitude should get in the way of that maintainer's
> choice. If we used to live in a world where, by maintainer choice, doc
> was not installed by default, that world should IMO stay the same.

  aptitude's behavior was "changed" in 2001.  It was changed because
Recommends has always meant that the package manager should
automatically select the recommended package when the recommending
package was selected.

  Daniel