Re: Possible mass bug filing: non-doc packages recommending doc packages

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 08:58:51AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 8 May 2009, Christian Perrier wrote:
>
>> I bringed the discussion in out maintenance list but dropping
>> Recommends to Suggests is likely to make us provide a "broken" home page
>> for SWAT by default. We could of course patch SWAT so that the page
>> explicitely says that adding samba-doc is needed but that would be
>> glightly ugly.
>>
>> So, that could be seen as a quite calid use case, indeed..:)
>
> As a raw estimation about 50% of the packages I maintain / sponsor use
> the doc package not only as pure standalone doc but the doc might be
> used by the help system of the native program / web application.  You
> might argue that in this case the program should be called *-data, but
> I'd call this nitpicking because the packages in itself are perfectly
> valid doc packages and make sense on their own.  So I do not think that
> this issue is really atarget for mass bug filing because chances for
> false positives are to high.  I'm fine with a lintian warning which
> can be overriden by the maintainer in case he decides recommending the
> doc package is the reight way to go.

+1

and this is what I will do for 'fsl' and 'fslview', since the
corresponding doc packages provide the online-help of the respective
applications -- even though these are plain html files that perfectly
fit into a separate doc package.

Michael

--
GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke