Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 12:30:14AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 12:10:54AM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > > So, does anybody still see reasons to continue supporting a standalone
> > > /usr?
> > There had been lots of responses to that.
>
> Yes, the most repeated argument has been mount /usr via NFS.

Well, some people argued for that.  Like you, I'm wondering how one
actually does this in practice!  However there are some rather more
reasonable uses which have been mentioned:

- read-only /usr (for security)
- backups
- recovery (ability to mount root only; important if there's fs corruption)
- on-line resizing
- using LVM and/or RAID
  (Note: With modern Debian initramfs it is quite possible to have
   / on LVM [on RAID] since so long as /boot lives outside the
   initramfs can bring up RAID and initialise LVM to mount the
   rootfs.  The system I'm physically typing this on has such a
   setup.)

/dev/mapper/ravenclaw-root on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda2 on /boot type ext2 (rw,nodev)
/dev/mapper/ravenclaw-home on /home type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,usrquota,grpquota,user_xattr)
/dev/mapper/ravenclaw-usr on /usr type ext3 (rw,nodev,relatime)
/dev/mapper/ravenclaw-var on /var type ext3 (rw,nodev,user_xattr)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=6G,mode=1777)
/dev/mapper/ravenclaw-chroots on /srv/chroot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/ravenclaw-mybook--backup on /srv/data/phd type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,user_xattr)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)
rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)

I certainly think that there's continued need for a separable /usr at
the present.  I'm intrigued as to what Marco's upstream is actually
doing!

Regards,
Roger

--