Re: RFC: Better formatting for long descriptions

Hi,

        I think we need to enumerate some goals for this proposed
 change. Here is a start:

 - Minimal disruption for current packages. The impact should be
   measured by numbers of packages impacted
   + Any specification of which of *, +, - to use as th first level item
     will impact more packages than not specifying it, by several
     hundred
   + The same is true for specifying the mark used for second level list
     items
   + Specifying exact number of spaces will also hit current packages,
     and will be a source of errors in the future.
 - Ability to recognize and render the following logical entities, in
   decreasing order of importance:
   + unordered lists
   + ordered lists
   + emphasis
   + strong emphasis
   + definition lists
   + hypertext links
   + underlines, and strike throughs
 - Readability for people looking at non-enhanced renditions, i.e.,
   using less on the Packages file. Sticking to widely known
   conventions, using the same conventions that peple are used to using
   in email, and Wikis, is a plus.
 - Ease of use for description writers.
   Again, sticking with standards that people already know and use is
   better than making our own, more restrictive standards
 - Not adding hugely to bloat for the Packages file
   This kinda excludes verbose markup like XML (which would have failed
   the readability test too)

        At this point, I would say that Markdown/Resstructued text meets
 most of the goals above, as long as we restrict the markup to the list
 above:
   * unordered lists
   * ordered lists
   * emphasis
   * strong emphasis
   * definition lists
   * hypertext links
   * underlines, and strike throughs

        manoj
--
"If we can't fix it -- we'll fix it so nobody can." Gibbons