Re: RFC: Better formatting for long descriptions

On Thu, Apr 16 2009, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
>>        Do we really have nothing better to do than to impose
>> bureaucratic rules on what characters to use as bullet symbols in long
>> descriptions even if the user can tell that the character is a bullet?
>
> The user can tell, but scripts can't reliably.

        Any script should be able to take the top 4 symbols currently
 used, and be able to detect them. I think *, +, - and o  cover most
 packages, and the scripts in question can be readily expanded. All
 kinds of markup languages already do something similar. (markdown,
 Emacs org-mode, mediawiki, etc)

> Long descriptions are used in several places and some of these could
> render a better layout.

        Functionally, just rendering the description as written would
 suffice; the rest is aesthetics.

>  A good layout is pleasing for users.  So it

        Pleasing is in the eye of the beholder, no?

> is not stupid bureaucracy but making our descriptions better readable
> (for instance on packages.d.o and other places).

        I find the descriptions on packages.d.o just fine right now.

        Having sad that, I would not be averse to specifying that leading
 white space and  *, +, and -  would be acceptable as bullet marks (I
 thought specifying which mark at which level was overspecification).

        manoj
--
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.  --
Butler