Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:06:15PM +0200, Bart Samwel wrote:
>> 1. The upstream for this package is Ubuntu. Ubuntu has never been very
>> cooperative at accepting changes, until recently: our contact Steve
>> Langasek has indicated that he is interested in merging most or all of
>> our changes, provided that we send them in in chunks, with proper
>> rationales.
>
> I have to say here in defense of Ubuntu that I don't see any record of these
> patches being submitted to the Ubuntu package via Launchpad, which, since
> Ubuntu does not have individual package maintainers, is the only reliable
> way to ensure that proposed changes are seen and considered by the people
> working on the package at any given time.
>
> I don't have time to work on the Debian package myself (either as maintainer
> or for sifting through the delta between Debian and Ubuntu), but I
> definitely am happy to accept fixes "upstream" in reasonable-sized chunks.
>
> Anyway, as Bart points out, there's another issue:
>
>> 4. Ubuntu is PHASING OUT this package. They have already moved suspend
>> to pm-utils (but have failed to remove suspend support from
>> acpi-support). They're currently moving hotkey translation to hal. This
>> means that soon we will have no upstream that we can follow! Or we
>> should ensure that Ubuntu's hal changes are included in our version of
>> hal as well -- no clue how those packages are related, or whether
>> Ubuntu's changes are going into upstream hal.
>
> Since the last time I had a chance to speak with Bart about this, there's
> been quite a bit of progress on phasing out the package for Ubuntu; in
> jaunty, we've dropped a number of quirk scripts related to suspend/resume,
> as well as close to 30 of the ACPI event-handling scripts from /etc/acpi -
> basically:  all those scripts that were being used to synthesize key
> events (which doesn't work with recent kernels anyway) and which we could
> verify were being handled by hal.
>
> And yes, Martin Pitt works very closely with hal upstream to ensure fixes
> are incorporated.

I can confirm that. Martin is doing an awesome job, submitting patches upstream
or to Debian ftm.

As (co-)maintainer of pm-utils and hal, I'd prefer if we could work towards
standardizing on one power management stack in Debian (and not install 3 by
default [1]), i.e. I'd support in phasing out acpi-support and would gladly
accept patches for hal and pm-utils which add (if there are) any missing bits
from acpi-support.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?